Thursday, April 30, 2009

More hiking...and what could have been a great April Fool's joke, but wasn't.

Last Friday, I [Liz] went on a short hike with one of my coworkers, Angela. Angela is a fantastic emergency technician (and actress!), and we have become friends since I started working at the emergency clinic. We decided to hit a portion of the Mesa Trail called Towhee Trail. It's a wonderful hike that starts outside of Eldorado State Park, so you don't have to pay! Sweet.

We took one of the vets' dogs with us (Shep) and he had a great time splashing through the creek that we crossed several times during the hike. The wildflowers are starting to pop up everywhere, and there were lots of buzzing insects that were taking advantage of the pollinating flowers. It finally feels like spring has arrived! (Except for the surprise 8 inches of snow we had overnight last week...) :)

Bill and I were finally able to take a hike together on Sunday after many weeks of a combination of work and bad weather. We decided to take it easy and went to Heil Valley Ranch Trail, just north of Boulder. We shared the trail with over a dozen mountain bikers who we had to occasionally jump off the trail to avoid - it kept us on our toes!


We had a nice time and chatted through the entire 5 miles about everything from work to kids to our future dreams. Since it was a rather easy hike, we had plenty of breath left to talk! Towards the end of the hike, the clouds rolled in and we called it a day.

On our way to the trailhead we saw this funny little shack, and I just had to take a picture for fun. I think the soda machine was actually in working order!
In other news...I finally completed my first project with the help of my vintage sewing machine - who has been christened with the name Betty. Betty was my grandmother (my mom's mom) who I never met because she died at a young age. However, her spirit lives on in her descendants. She, too, had a great old sewing machine that she loved and used regularly. She, too, cried at every little sappy moment. She had a great smile and glowing countenance. It was only right that my dear sewing machine bear her name.

See the beautiful pillow cover I made?? After 3 or 4 attempts at getting the pocket flap to not be backwards (ripping out seams between each attempt), I finally got it right. An engineer, I'm not!


See Goose "happily" perched on his new fluffy pillow bed?? Okay, okay... so I forced him to sit there while I took a picture, but now he has decided that it really is pretty comfy and is sleeping there as I type this.

And now for the moment you've been waiting for: The April Fool's joke that turned out to be real.

On the first of April, Bill and I received simultaneous emails from a mysterious lady claiming that she wanted us to audition for an eHarmony commercial. They "had read our story" and thought it was "very funny and moving", and wanted to arrange for a phone interview with us. I got excited for about 5 seconds, then immediately googled the lady to make sure she *really* worked for eHarmony. She does. And it's real.

We had a phone interview with the eHarmony production people which went very well. They asked us to make a video to send in so they could see how we interact with each other, and if, I assume, we are "commercial worthy". After a week of editing and cursing under my breath, I finally finished the video and sent it in. The eHarmony folks are eagerly awaiting the video, and we are waiting to see if we will be chosen for the next round of internet-dating advertisements. I guess all the jokes and ribbing we've gotten from you guys were really a foreshadow of what was to come!

You can see our video on YouTube here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmmiPyq96WY

Until next time!

3 comments:

  1. Great video, now I want to see a picture of Bill's butt. But seriously if you guys are on an Eharmony commercial I WILL start calling Bill "Netflix" again, and Lizzy you will get an appropriate nickname too. Be prepared. Maybe this will get your acting careers going. Seriously, good job on the video and good luck with the commercial thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill & Liz, what a fab hike! I thought mtn bikers were supposed to yield to hikers? Just wondering about established ethics! What a *Rad* pillow case cover!

    ReplyDelete